Re: Proposed Charter Changes

On 07/04/2015 23:11, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> I'm also just a simple engineer, unclear on what has to go in a charter
> and what doesn't.   But it sounds to me like we're all trying to decide
> on and agree upon what "1.1" and "compatibility" mean right now, even
> though we could just as easily decide that later.

+1

> Could we simply
> change the charter text to the this?
> [...]

Thanks a lot Peter for this very constructive approach :)

I've included that proposed change in the "revised" charter branch I
maintain on github:
https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-charter/tree/revision
https://cdn.rawgit.com/w3c/webrtc-charter/revision/webrtc-charter.html

The full diff with what was sent to the AC can be seen in markup at
https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-charter/compare/revision?expand=1
and in a more human friendly version at:
http://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=http%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fwebrtc-charter%2Fwebrtc-charter.html&doc2=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.rawgit.com%2Fw3c%2Fwebrtc-charter%2Frevision%2Fwebrtc-charter.html

While I welcome suggestions for reverting some of the changes that have
been brought since the AC review happened, I'll note that these changes
were made based on input from the AC and so these reverts should be
justified enough for me to get back to those that had made the said
suggestions for possible further discussion.

> Then we could save all this discussion for what "next version" means after we have the charter to make one, and the process of chartering wouldn't be blocked

FWIW, there have been suggestions that organizing an open workshop
around what use cases (and not just what shape) a future API should
cater for; while it's too early for me to commit to anything, if anyone
has feedback on that idea, I'd very much welcome it.

Thanks,

Dom