Re: Mucking with SDP

From: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 11:52:18 -0400
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
On 4/6/2015 4:30 PM, Tim Panton new wrote:
>>> On Apr 5, 2015, at 4:41 AM, tim panton <thp@westhawk.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> In some ways this is regrettable - since almost all of my webRTC apps to date have had to mess with the SDP,
>>> but Iím still hoping that as we get to 1.0 the need for this will be reduced.
>> I know some of the mucking is to work around bugs in browsers that are getting fixed but I was wondering if you could send a list of SDP mucking around that you see apps needing to do so that we can eliminate any that should be eliminated.
>>
>> I think a full list would be very helpful. Thanks.
> Iím not sure this is a full list - I often need to look at the SDP to work out what is going wrong,
> but leaving that and (in)compatibility work arounds aside, here are some things Iíve needed to access
> the sdp to do:
>
> 1) Set the b=AS and ptime to suit Ďapp specificí network situations (e.g. a TV whitespace link with pathological behaviour at 20ms)
> 2) Fish out the DTLS fingerprint (for reasons Iíll not discuss on this list)
> 3) Pull out the a=ssrc lines to to be able to associate a set of stats with a media type

So as best I can tell, 2 of the 3 here are to get data out of the SDP;
only one involved modification.

Would providing appropriate attributes on the RTPSenders cover the b=AS
and ptime issues?

Any suggestions as to an appropriate API point to handle the other issues?

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com