Re: What is missing for building "real" services?

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM, piranna@gmail.com <piranna@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The part that I think will survive "forever" is, however, the need to have a
>> signalling path in order to start communicating. That's something I don't
>> expect to see workarounds for.
>>
> I know currently WebRTC doesn't allow it, but in other environments,
> is there any way to don't need a signaling path to start the
> communications? I have been reading a lot since more than a year about
> this topic to see if it would be added but didn't found anything...
> The most "P2P distributed" way I've find is using DHT, but it also
> needs a way (mainly directly pointing by IP and port) to bootstrap on
> the DHT network... :-/

More or less no. The problem is NAT.

> It seems that with ORCA I would only need the connection configuration
> (the "SDP" info) of one endpoint instead of needing to exchange both
> of them (it would be similar to the "directly pointing by IP and port"
> thing on the DHT). This will greatly help to my purposses, but until I
> could be able to test it I'm not totally sure about it :-(

That's not really going to work unless you basically are on a public
IP address with no firewall. The issue here isn't the properties of
PeerConnection but the basic way in which NAT traversal algorithms
work.

-Ekr