Re: What is missing for building "real" services?

On quite a few of these, coming up with specific proposals that explain:

- Why it's needed
- How it could be done

would greatly increase the chances of something happening.
It's very nice to ask that "someone do something"; it's much better to
actually do it.

On 01/05/2014 09:59 PM, piranna@gmail.com wrote:

> I have reminded myself another issues regarding specially to DataChannels:
>
> * It is too much cumbersome to create a DataChannel-only connection
> and there are too much concepts related to it: SDP, offer, answer,
> PeerConnection objects, signaling channel (common sense says, if you
> already has a channel to comunicate between both peers, why you would
> create another one)... Too much complicated and anti-intuitive.

On this aspect, however, I think the answer is "live with it". It's just
the way the design is.

> * Also, you need to deal with candidates and Trickle ICE (the epithome
> of anti-intuitive things for a web developer, my DataChannel-polyfill
> developed using the firts specs didn't need it and was fairly easy to
> understand how it worked and straighforward to implement, but adding
> support for candidates was a nighmare both on usage and
> implementation), that although you can override it just waiting all
> candidates to be generated when onicecandidate event gets null, it is
> more like a hack that a real solution, while there should be an option
> about to use Trickle ICE or instead receive the full SDP when calling
> createOffer() and createAnswer(), that in that case would simplify
> (somewhat) it's usage.
>
> * There's no way to get a list of all the DataChannels being used on a
> PeerConnection object, while there are lists for the audio & video
> streams. DataChannels specification is almost one and a half years
> old, why it hasn't been added yet?
>
> * Finally, nothing has been talked officially about add support for
> PeerConnection inside WebWorkers (specially SharedWorkers or the
> upcoming ServiceWorkers), when it would be useful for maintain
> connections open or to do transfers on background.

Someone who actually understands the *Workers model needs to propose
something here.
It's been suggested that "all" we need to do is to make MediaStreams
and/or MediaStreamChannels transferable objects - but I suspect there
are devils in the details here.