Re: active speaker information in mixed streams

On 13 Feb 2014, at 14:43, Iņaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:

>>> May I understand how the WebAudio API could be aware of RTP fields?
>>
>> I don't believe anyone is suggesting that CSRCs be surfaced through
>> the WebAudio API. My understanding is that the current discussion is
>> about whether or not such details could be bubbled through the WebRTC
>> API (1.0).
>
> Right, the subject of this thread is "active speaker information in
> mixed streams" so clearly we need the CSRC values inspection in client
> side. That can only be achieved by the WebRTC API (and the WebAudio
> API is totally useless for this subject).

You SIP guys are so funny, you insist that the benefit of SIP is that it decouples
signalling from media, then you go adding more and more "media-meta-data" to the media channel,
till it looks like a signalling channel.
Sigh.

The 'correct' solution to this is to re-engineer your mixer so it sends active speaker info
over the data channel, not to further delay the standard by adding more VoIP specific legacy features.

WebAudio cropped up, because I originally assumed we were discussing in an un-mixed peer (i.e. the prime p2p usecase of WebRTC) ,
the where peer browser could use webAudio to generate the relevant info and send it down the datachannel.

T.