Re: RTCDataChannel characteristics and failures -API description -

On 18 Aug 2014, at 07:20, Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> wrote:

> [...]
>> http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#rtcdatachannel
>>
>> I suggest the following:
>>
>> 1. Section 5.2, third paragraph, ending with "(TODO: reference needed)"
>>  Replace "(TODO: reference needed)" with the same references as at the end of the first paragraph:
>> " [RTCWEB-DATA] and [RTCWEB-DATA-PROTOCOL]."
>>
>> [BD] The last sentence in 5.2, third paragraph states "The actual wire protocol between the peers is specified by the WebRTC DataChannel Protocol specification ..." . I think there should only be the [RTCWEB-DATA] should be referenced.
> [GH] Agreed.
>>
>> 2. The reliable mode cannot ensure that data is delivered, it can just make efforts. It can fail after a limited number of retransmissions and it is important that implementers understand that.
>> Section 5.2, fourth paragraph, replace:
>> "A reliable channel ensures that the data is delivered at the other peer through retransmissions."
>> with
>> "A reliable channel makes efforts to deliver data at the other peer through limited retransmission. If these limited transmissions fail, the underlying transport will be abruptly aborted."
>>
>> [BD] I agree we need to indicate the difference between the 'reliable' and 'unreliable' modes. The  [RTCWEB-DATA] protocol section 5.1 implies that the 'reliable' mode has No Limit on the number of retransmissions (as no limit is accepted) whilst the 'unreliable' mode has EITHER a limit on the number of retransmissions OR on the Maximum time for transmissions and retransmissions. This does not align with your proposal.
> [GH] I cannot find your indicated "no limit". Please clarify where you found it.
> Instead, earlier mail discussions have indicated that the reliable channel SHOULD use the default parameters for SCTP streams specified in SCTP RFC 4960, which says:
> -----------------------------------------------copy from RFC 4960--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
> 15.  Suggested SCTP Protocol Parameter Values
>
>    The following protocol parameters are RECOMMENDED:
>
>       RTO.Initial - 3 seconds
>       RTO.Min - 1 second
>       RTO.Max - 60 seconds
>       Max.Burst - 4
>       RTO.Alpha - 1/8
>       RTO.Beta - 1/4
>       Valid.Cookie.Life - 60 seconds
>       Association.Max.Retrans - 10 attempts
>       Path.Max.Retrans - 5 attempts (per destination address)
>       Max.Init.Retransmits - 8 attempts
>       HB.interval - 30 seconds
>       HB.Max.Burst - 1
> -----------end of copy from RFC 4690------------------------------------------------------"
>
> The Path.Max.Retrans=5 is supposed to be the default limit for the number of retransmissions on WebRTC reliable data channels, and these retransmissions will normally be spread over 15 seconds before the Association is aborted with error.
Please note that
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-dtls-encaps-05
states in Section 6.1:
   o  All SCTP associations are single-homed, because DTLS does not
      expose any address management to its upper layer.  Therefore it is
      RECOMMENDED to set the SCTP parameter path.max.retrans to
      association.max.retrans.
This means that you will have 10 retransmissions, not 5.

Best regards
Michael