getStats on closed peerConnection

From: Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:03:15 -0400
To: "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
I'd like to propose a change to getStats so that calling it on a closed
PeerConnection does not throw, but instead gives you the stats at the
time the PeerConnection closed.

Use-case: A webpage wants stats about the call that just terminated from
the other side - e.g. how many frames dropped?

In [1] remove step 1:
>     1. If the ||RTCPeerConnection|
> <http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#idl-def-RTCPeerConnection>|
> object's |RTCPeerConnection| signalingState
> <http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#dom-peerconnection-signaling-state>
> is |closed|, throw an |InvalidStateError| exception.

And edit step 5 (which would now be 4):

>     4. Start gathering the stats indicated by selectorArg. In case
> selectorArg is null, stats /MUST/ be gathered for the whole
> ||RTCPeerConnection|
> <http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#idl-def-RTCPeerConnection>|
> object. If the ||RTCPeerConnection|
> <http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#idl-def-RTCPeerConnection>|
> object's |RTCPeerConnection| signalingState
> <http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#dom-peerconnection-signaling-state>
> is |closed|, stats should reflect the state at or near the time that
> signalingState
> <http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#dom-peerconnection-signaling-state>
> transitioned to |closed|.

Implementations would basically cache a final call to getStats
internally as part of transitioning to closed.

.: Jan-Ivar :.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#methods-5