Re: RTCDataChannel characteristics and failures -API description -

We had some mail list discussions on failure handling in the
RTCDataChannel, but nothing has been decided and entered into the spec.
http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#rtcdatachannel

I suggest the following:

1. Section 5.2, third paragraph, ending with "(TODO: reference needed)"
  Replace "(TODO: reference needed)" with the same references as at the
end of the first paragraph:
"[RTCWEB-DATA
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#bib-RTCWEB-DATA>] and
[RTCWEB-DATA-PROTOCOL
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#bib-RTCWEB-DATA-PROTOCOL>]."

2. The reliable mode cannot ensure that data is delivered, it can just
make efforts. It can fail after a limited number of retransmissions and
it is important that implementers understand that.
Section 5.2, fourth paragraph, replace:
"A reliable channel ensures that the data is delivered at the other peer
through retransmissions."
with
"A reliable channel makes efforts to deliver data at the other peer
through limited retransmission. If these limited transmissions fail, the
underlying transport will be abruptly aborted."

3. What happens when unreliable transmission fails need to be explained
in section 5.2, fourth paragraph.
After the last sentence in paragraph four in 5.2, insert:
"If the limit for the unreliable transport is exhausted for a message to
be transmitted, the transmission of the corresponding message is
aborted. All kinds of channels may get their underlying transport
abruptly aborted by failure in connectivity checks by the underlying
transport."

4. The ordered characteristics is not mentioned in the introduction in
section 5.2.
Since the other characteristics are mentioned, I suggest that also
ordered/unordered is introduced in a new paragraph, after the fourth
paragraph in 5.2.
"A||RTCDataChannel|
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#idl-def-RTCDataChannel>|can
be configured to operate inordered or unordered mode. In (ordered) mode,
transmitted messages are delivered in order. Both reliable and
unreliable channels may be set to either of these ordered/unordered
modes. Ordered mode is the default."

5. After point 6 in the second numbered list in section 5.2, I suggest
to introduce a brief description of that the transport can be aborted in
case of transmission errors.
Insert:
"An||RTCDataChannel|
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#idl-def-RTCDataChannel>|object'sunderlying
data transport
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#dfn-underlying-data-transport>may
be torn down in an abrupt manner by transmission errors.When that
happens the user agent/must/||, queue a task that sets the
object's|readyState
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#dom-datachannel-readystate>|attribute
to|closing|. This will eventually render thedata transport
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#dfn-underlying-data-transport>closed
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#data-transport-closed>."

Please verify that this is what is supposed to happen!

6. In chapter 11, the error event in the first table needs an explanation.

Replace "TODO" in the third column for the error event the following:
"The||RTCDataChannel|
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#idl-def-RTCDataChannel>|object'sunderlying
data transport
<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#dfn-underlying-data-transport>has
detected an error that caused the transport to be aborted".

7. Consider introducing an error event also for transmission failures in
unreliable channels.
The change proposals above do not include any error indication when
transmission of messages in unreliable channels fail because of
exhausted retries.
The ambition is that WebRTC shall be as equivalent as possible to the
Websocket API.  The Websocket API has however not specified any
unreliable mode, so we are free to specify what happens on transmission
errors on unreliable channels. A suitable result of a transmission error
is to issue an error event but not abort the transport.  Note however
that STCP Watchdog failure and failure of transmission in reliable
channels will abort the transport also for the unreliable channels using
that transport (=RTSP association).

Text proposal TBD.

Regards

Gunnar