Re: renaming updateIce

On 30/04/2014 10:43 AM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:

>> I think setConfiguration(RTCConfiguration) is preferable in the sense
>> that you don't want to end up with PeerConnection.getConfiguration()
>> returning a value that doesn't actually correspond to the current
>> PeerConnection state.
>>
>> If you use the Builder design pattern, you could do even better:
>>
>>   PeerConnection.getConfiguration().changeSomething().apply()
>>
>> where PeerConnection.getConfiguration() returns a copy-on-write
>> configuration object and apply() updates the PeerConnection,
>> otherwise the object is discarded and never used.
>
> Dictionaries already address the telescoping constructor problem, so
> while I'm a fan of the builder pattern, it seems redundant here.

The Builder pattern allows you to implement copy-on-write. Dictionaries
require you to always return a copy, regardless of whether it's used.
The Builder is better suited to changing one or two properties and
applying the same, all on a single line of code; whereas dictionaries
require you to spread this out over multiple lines.

I think Dictionaries are great for the initial configuration, but for
deltas I think Builder does a better job. Technically speaking, we can
do both:

 1. PeerConnection's constructor or setConfiguration() can take a
    dictionary for the initial configuration.
 2. getConfiguration() can return a builder for reading existing values
    and applying minor deltas.

Gili