Re: Update of RTCRtpSender "doohickey" proposal

On 4/30/14 12:54 AM, Justin Uberti wrote:
> MSTs are about raw media. They know nothing about encoding, bitrates,
> recvonly/sendonly, etc. Jamming such parameters into a MST is a
> complete layer violation.
>
> A RtpSender, on the other hand, converts the raw media from a MST into
> packets, which then go over a Transport. These packets are then
> reconstituted into a MST on the remote side by a RtpReceiver.

Makes sense, especially when one is in gUM and the other in webRTC.

>  Please, let's not rewind 6 months of consensus on the need for
> doohickeys.

It sounds like there are other benefits, so I wouldn't worry.

My observation was more upstream, that we are flush with one-to-many
relationships:

Source -+-> MST -+-> <video/>
         |        '-> <video/>
         '-> MST -+-> RtpSender ---> DtlsTransport ---> (The Internet)
                  '-> RtpSender ---> DtlsTransport ---> (The Internet)

and I'm wondering whether we want a one-to-many relationship between MST
and RtpSender/PeerConnection, especially since, looking at
MediaStreamTrackState's "new", "live" and "ended", there's no talk about
multiple sinks or how that would work.

Cloning is cheap since that's what gUM does, so maybe there's some
benefit to saying:

Source -+-> MST ---> <video/>
         +-> MST ---> <video/>
         +-> MST ---> RtpSender ---> DtlsTransport ---> (The Internet)
         '-> MST ---> RtpSender ---> DtlsTransport ---> (The Internet)

I don't know, just wanted to mention it. If there's no advantage then
fine, I suppose in JS we should let people connect whatever works.

There's a bit of redundancy in that one can pause an MST (seems like the
only thing one can do with an MST!) and you have pausing per
EncodingParams as well, but maybe that's ok?

.: Jan-Ivar :.