Re: WebRTC and backpressure (how to stop reading? And how to start sending again?)

On 03/27/2014 09:11 AM, Aymeric Vitte wrote:
> It's here https://github.com/whatwg/streams
>
> It's a "merge" of WHATWG/W3C Streams specs taking large inspiration of
> node's streams.
>
> There are still some open questions but I think all groups related to
> streams should start integrating this from now.

"Soon to become a Living Standard" .... I think this seems just a little
bit unstable. And missing enough data to be completely unimplementable.

I also note some grand bloopers, like this one:

> Push sourcespush data at you, whether or not you are listening for it.
> They may also provide a mechanism for pausing and resuming the flow of
> data. An example push source is a TCP socket, where data is constantly
> being pushed from the OS level, at a rate that can be controlled by
> changing the TCP window size.

Eh.... no. The rate of data flow cannot be controlled by changing the
TCP window size. Completely different concept.

I hope the Streams discussions converge on an usable spec at one point
in time, but I don't think the WebRTC WG can take anything useful from
the spec at that particular URL at this particular time.

(Note: I tried to read the stuff at

http://anolis.hoppipolla.co.uk/aquarium.py/output?uri=http%3A%2F%2Frawgithub.com%2Fwhatwg%2Fstreams%2Fofficial-lookin%2Findex.html&process_filter=on&process_toc=on&process_xref=on&process_sub=on&process_annotate=on&filter=&annotation=&newline_char=LF&tab_char=SPACE&min_depth=2&max_depth=6&w3c_compat_xref_a_placement=on&parser=lxml.html&serializer=html5lib&output_encoding=ascii

since that was what the URL you gave me pointed to as "the current spec".)

             Harald