Re: Why does screen sharing require a browser extension?

On 27/11/2013 2:41 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 27 November 2013 10:38, Steve Kann <stevek@stevek.com> wrote:
>> After reading through some more of this thread, allowing remote keyboard
>> mouse events doesn’t actually seem that much more dangerous than allowing an
>> app which can view the screen to also be able to operate the browser (the
>> case of navigating to the bank, and capturing the display).
> If you believe that, I don't really know what I can say to convince
> you otherwise.  I don't know how I can prevent an app with remote
> control privileges from - for example - deleting all my files.  Or
> looking at them, or modifying them.  (That includes my SSH private
> key, my tax files, my password safe, you name it).  I think that I can
> prevent an app from accessing sudo-protected administration functions.
>   Maybe.  But that's not much consolation.
>
> I won't say categorically that I won't be supportive of remote control
> functions, but until someone presents a MUCH stronger set of
> safeguards, I do not believe that user consent is sufficient
> protection.  You are going to need to do a lot better than entreaties
> to "think of the poor application designer".

I think we want to support "remote control by user" versus "remote
control by remote application". It's a lot harder to pull off malicious
behavior when it's done manually by a user (e.g. the problem with hidden
iframes disappears). The problem is I can't of a way to differentiate
between the two :)

Gili