Re: Why does screen sharing require a browser extension?

On 11/27/13, 1:11 PM, "cowwoc" <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:

> On 27/11/2013 12:10 PM, Justin Uberti wrote:
>

>> The publisher of the extension can control which domains can talk to it. See
>> http://developer.chrome.com/extensions/manifest/externally_connectable.html.
>> This would allow you to make your extension available to yourcompany.com
>> <http://yourcompany.com> , as well as development machines on
>> *.corp.yourcompany.com <http://corp.yourcompany.com> . (Note that *.com and
>> other wide-reaching wildcards are not permitted.)
>>

>> There is also the Chrome flag parameter to force on the screen-sharing
>> feature for testing purposes
>> (chrome://flags/#enable-usermedia-screen-capture).
>>

>  So you're saying we will never be able to implement "help your mom with her
> computer" style applications in WebRTC? Those kind of apps have no way of
> knowing ahead of time which websites they will navigate to.

Actually, to really implement ³help your mom with her computer²,  or ³help
your computer science student debug his program², you need remote control ‹
the ability to grant a remote user the ability to inject mouse and keyboard
events.    This kind of control has been key to educational applications in
particular ‹ and earlier in the thread it was mainly dismissed.

Otherwise, the best you can get is seeing what¹s happening, and then having
to go through the very painful process of operating the computer by vocally
directing the person in front of it where to click, drag, type, etc.

After reading through some more of this thread, allowing remote keyboard
mouse events doesn¹t actually seem that much more dangerous than allowing an
app which can view the screen to also be able to operate the browser (the
case of navigating to the bank, and capturing the display).

-SteveK