Re: Why does screen sharing require a browser extension?

I disagree completely.

Allowing the installation of apps that have unlimited access to the system
did cause the computing world to end, in a sense. We tried that, and the
result was systems plagued with spyware, and the creation of the whole
anti-virus industry. Thankfully, this philosophy has now been discredited,
and replaced with approaches that through various mechanisms (ACLs,
sandboxing, curation, etc) aim to protect their users as a top priority.
That is what Chrome (amongst others) is doing, and will continue to do.

I understand that having access to screen sharing is a highly desired
feature. But there are real issues here, and no amount of scary text in the
dialog box is going to make this safe for arbitrary pages on the drive-by
web.

So we have made our decision for the initial rollout of this functionality.
In M33, the rules are as I describe - accessible only via extensions or
apps, and for window/desktop sharing, a user prompt for all sharing
requests. We'll ship this code, people will use it, we'll get feedback -
and we'll go from there.