From: Justin Uberti [mailto:juberti@google.com]
Sent: 27. marraskuuta 2013 2:19
To: Harald Alvestrand
Cc: public-webrtc@w3.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Should we put the SCTP max message size in the SDP?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no<mailto:harald@alvestrand.no>> wrote:
On 11/26/2013 10:02 PM, Christer Holmberg wrote:
Hi,

RFC 4975 (MSRP) defines a max-recv attribute (value given in octets). Eventhough defined for MSRP, the semantics in general seem to match, so maybe we could take a look at that?

max-size? (I looked for "max" in RFC 4975, and that was the one I found).

I think we should try to avoid, if possible, defining different attributes, indicating the same thing, based on the protocol.

That makes sense to me.

It is also defined as a separate a= attribute, not folded into a=fmtp or the a=sctpmap line. This removes some flexibility (can't have different values for different a=sctpmap lines), but it seems to me likely that much of the time, this value will be the same for all a=sctpmap lines anyway, being given more by stack implementation methodologies than by higher-level protocol usages.

I think there are benefits in using fmtp as a more general mechanism for indicating attributes for the SCTP association (so that we don't have to rehash this the next time we need to signal some parameter), but I would be fine with a=max-size as well.

Regards,

Christer