Re: Why does screen sharing require a browser extension?

Hi Justin,

On 25/11/2013 6:58 PM, Justin Uberti wrote:
> Others have already made the points I was going to, but I'll summarize:
> - Screensharing is more dangerous than webcam access, because the
> attacker can record the screen, AND control what is displayed on it.

Agreed but only if you interpret screen-sharing as co-browsing. It is
possible to limit screen-sharing to read-only screen recording, without
the ability to control what is being displayed on it, in which case none
of these security concerns exist.

> - It only takes one frame to capture sensitive information - far less
> than would be noticeable by a user.

Agreed.

> - Requiring unambiguous opt-in for sharing, and being able to remotely
> disable bad actors, are therefore the best hope of security.

I think that is a bit of a cop-out. It reminds me of Windows XP asking
you "Are you sure you want to open this file?" implying that the user
knows more than the browser whether the file can be trusted. In 99% of
cases, they do not. The sounds like a "cover your ass" question so we
can later tell the user "Well... I warned you. You have no one to blame
but yourself." No wonder no one pays attention to these warnings. I
think we can do better (more on this below).

> - To opt in, the user will need to install an app or extension, and
> when actually sharing, select the window/desktop to be shared from a
> consent box.

We should present a consent box and ask which window/desktop to be
shared every time the app is opened, not just the first time the app is
installed (unless the user asks us to remember his preferences).

> - Installing through an app store is an explicit grant of trust by the
> user to the application (similar to installing a desktop app).
> Visiting a web page is not.

I disagree. Allow me to explain why I believe this security model (which
is used by Android) is broken.

I install an app and get asked whether it should be able to access my
contacts, use the camera and empty my bank account. 99% of the time, I
have no idea why the application needs these permissions but I proceed
anyway because I want to try the application. I believe you'd end up
with a far better permission situation if you presented the consent box
immediately before the permission was needed. Meaning, if the app asked
to access my contact list immediately after I asked it to share a
picture with my friends, I'd understand why. Asking me during
installation time does not provide me with the necessary context to make
a decision and results in me forgetting that I ever granted permission
in the first place because I only got asked once.

You should be asking me every time the app required a permission, not
just once (unless I ask you to remember the choice) and you should do so
right before you need a permission, not all up-front.

None of this is specific to an extension versus a web page, but I
believe the latter is a better fit (no need to install a plugin).

By the way, I fail to see why you couldn't present a consent box the
first time I visit a web page. Java does this the first time you launch
an applet off a website. Why couldn't Chrome do the same for embedded
WebRTC applications? You could present the exact same permissions dialog
you get on app store. None of this depends on the use of browser extensions.

Gili