Re: Why does screen sharing require a browser extension?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:

> On 25/11/2013 3:02 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
>
>> On 25 November 2013 11:44, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The only way I can see this happening is for secure websites that do not
>>> require user interaction (meaning, you checked "automatically log me in
>>> from
>>> this computer"). So yes, in such a case I definitely see a security risk
>>> but
>>> that brings up the question: why not just target the intersection of
>>> screen
>>> capturing, iframes and cross-site requests? Screen capturing should not
>>> be
>>> allowed to capture hidden elements, or the contents of cross-site
>>> requests.

Since showing a whole site, one of the components of which is cross-site
objects is one of the major uses for screen sharing, that's
going to make it significantly less useful.

 Moving this into an extension doesn't really solve the problem.

>> That is incorrect.  Confidential information isn't just restricted to
>> stuff that is shown when you are logged in.
>>

> Please provide an example

SiteKey.

More importantly, I don't really understand what you mean by "do not require
user interaction". I'm currently logged into GMail for instance and opening
a new GMail link wouldn't require a new user interaction.

-Ekr