Re: Why does screen sharing require a browser extension?

On 25/11/2013 2:43 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> True, but you could implement the same behavior as Java Applets (the
>> border of the screen pulses slowly and a warning icon shows up when
>> the mouse approaches it. When you hover over the warning icon a
>> tooltip shows up reminding you that you're running inside of an
>> applet). We could do the same to warn the user that the contents of
>> the box is being shared. This is actually beneficial from a UI point
>> of view, because you won't necessarily be sharing the entire screen.
>
> Hmmm... where have you actually seen this behaviour in a Java applet?
> I can't remember ever seeing anything like that, and I run Java
> applets on a fairly regular basis (my bank requires them for login).
Hi Harald,

I believe you only get this functionality when an unsigned applet
(displayed in the browser) creates a new window (displayed outside of
the browser).
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javase/appletwarning-135102.html
explains it in more detail (the images don't do it justice).

The basic idea was to distinguish between trusted/native windows and
those owned by untrusted applets.

Gili