Re: Should we put the SCTP max message size in the SDP?

On Nov 23, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com> wrote:

> (adding mmusic mailing list, sorry for cross posting but if we want to progress the draft
> within IETF we have to discuss it in the mmusic mailing list)
>
> the http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mmusic-sctp-sdp-05
> still allow to specify the number of streams, even if it is optional
>
> if we want to add also max-message-size attribute, also as on optional one
> what about something like this?
>
> a=sctpmap:5000 webrtc-datachannel [streams] [max-message-size]
... and what is the semantic if max-message-size is not provided? The endpoint
is willing to accept arbitrary large messages?

I also suggest to rename max-message-size to supported-message-size.
The semantics is that the end-point is willing to accept messages up to
supported-message-size. It does not make a statement about messages larger
than the limit. Calling it max-message-size suggests to me, that messages
larger than the limit can't be handled...

Best regards
Michael