Re: SIP phone interoperability

On Mar 6, 2013, at 11:48 AM, Martin Steinmann <martin@ezuce.com> wrote:

> I am interested in the working group’s position on interoperability between WebRTC and standards based SIP phones.  There are several possible hurdles like DTLS and SDP profile.  Is it the scope of the working group to make WebRTC interoperable with SIP phones and if so is it the working group’s intent to require a mediating gateway in the media stream, are you expecting the phone vendors to support WebRTC media in phones, or other?   Are there any hard/soft phones available that can communicate with a WebRTC client in e.g. Chrome or Firefox?
>
> Thanks
> --martin

The goal is interoperability without a media gateway (but would have a signaling gateway). There have been several demos not showing firefox and or chrome to a traditional SIP phone. The problems people have run into in declining order of "problematic" is:

1) common video codec (VP8 is very rare on SIP phones)
2) DTLS-SRTP support (though a lot more stuff supports that now)
3) ICE (thought a significant fraction of SIP phones support that)