Re: Allowing RTCIceServer to contain multiple URLs

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:37:43 +0200
To: Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>
Cc: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>, Mallinath Bareddy <mallinath@google.com>
2013/6/1 Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>:
> In the best case, the web server can return IP addresses directly to JS with
> the pageload, eliminating any DNS lookup. I think that S-NAPTR for STUN/TURN
> will probably only require a single lookup, but the larger concern is that
> IIRC, DNS on Windows XP does not support S-NAPTR, which would break this for
> a sizable chunk of the Internet population (10%+)

In some RT protocols, the client does load-balancing and failover
based on NAPTR/SRV records. For example, a SIP/XMPP client gets the
SRV records of its domain, chooses one server and, since it does not
respond, it connects to the next one. That mechanism is builit-in the
protocol.

If the WebRTC client performs a NAPTR query and retrieve multiple
servers, it can try all of them in a *transparent* way for the JS
application. If instead a single DNS A or IP is given, such a failover
feature is lost (or should be implemented at JS layer).

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc@aliax.net>