Re: [rtcweb] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-constraints-resolution-03.txt

On 08/30/2013 09:55 AM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
> On 2013-08-26 14:26, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> I have updated my description of how to do resolution negotiation with
>> input from -unified-plan and from the newly updated constraints update API.
>>
>> Comments welcome, but preferably on one mailing list; since this has
>> turned into mainly API usage, I think the discussion should go on
>> public-webrtc if it's not specifically about the SDP components.
> Looking at the different settings (width, height, CPU load, frame-rate,
> bit-rate, ...) in question width and height of the video stands out
> since the correct setting can be automatically determined by the
> receiving (or rather rendering) browser in a way that is obvious (by
> looking at the video element the MediaStream is attached to).

Actually it's not quite that obvious.... we have limitations like the
need for width & height being a whole number of macroblocks, we have
applications that want to preserve aspect ratio and use letterboxing /
pillaring, we have applications that prefer consistent image quality to
rescaling, we have applications that so want to have rapid up-scaling
when a stream is maximized that they're OK with "wasting" the bits while
it's in a smaller window.....

> The others are either content related (e.g the appropriate frame rate
> would depend on the content) or would require a lot of specification
> work if browsers should behave the same (e.g. if CPU load is high,
> should the receiving browser ask for reduced resolution, reduced frame
> rate, both, or something else?). In addition we would have to specify
> signaling (if we wanted this to happen automatically). For resolution we
> have the image attribute, for bitrate b=AS I guess, but what about CPU-load?
>
> On top of all this it seems like doing a SDP O/A to convey this kind of
> information is an overkill (and gives a certain risk for glare).

Depends on your signalling channel's speed, of course. But it's a lot of
work.

> To me it is very tempting to for v1 say let's have API surface on the
> sending side only, and let the receiving app signal to the sending app
> in a non standardized way whatever it wants to influence. We can then
> gain experience on the need for receiver side APIs (or automatic
> signaling) for a later update.

Given all the interaction with application opinions mentioned above, my
tendency goes into the same direction.

> And perhaps we will with time see RTP/RTCP development where these
> things could be signaled there rather than requiring SDP updates.

...if Ericsson's patent application on COP is either not granted or
licensed in an acceptable fashion...