Re: Improving disconnection handling

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:02:48 -0700
To: cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>
Cc: "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 11 April 2013 09:55, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>     If WebRTC would tell me the time (using the local clock) that the last
> video frame arrived then I could begin fading out the video after, say,
> 500ms. I'm not worried about false positives for two reasons:

It's relatively easy to detect and time packet arrival.  But that
doesn't really correspond well with frame timing.

> The video is supposed to be streaming at 30fps. If I haven't received a
> video frame in 300-500ms then something is seriously wrong.

In practice, noticeable glitches are actually pretty commonplace.  The
browser will have mechanisms for dealing with packet loss.  I worry
that you are trying to overengineer a solution here.

> If the video fades out slowly enough, false positives won't be visible to
> the naked eye (opacity might change by 5% before the connection is recovered
> and opacity returns to normal).

I think that you need to test that assertion.