Re: V2 of DTMF - the "Object Oriented" approach

I think this is starting to become baked enough to be incorporated in
the Editor's draft. A couple of minor comments in-line.

Stefan

On 11/16/2012 12:56 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> I realized that I'd forgotten about the callback / event aspect of the
> DTMFSender!
>
> Feedback so far:
> - No need to inherit from MediaStreamTrack
> - Name's ugly, but we can live with it
>
> If we don't need to inherit, name can be a little nicer. I like to keep
> the RTC prefix.
>
> Modified version:
>
> On 11/14/2012 03:46 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> Takeaways from Lyon were that:
>>
>> - Executing DTMF needs reference to an audio track (to know where to
>> send the data) and to a PeerConnection (to know that we've
>> successfully negotiated use of the DTMF codec).
>> - The WG preferred an "object oriented" model: creating a DTMF handler
>> object, rather than the "fortran" approach of having all functions
>> directly on the PeerConnection.
>>
>> Suggested edits, delta from the October 19 version of the spec:
>>
>> - In section 8.4, rename AudioMediaStreamTrack to RTCDTMFSender.
>> Remove inheritance.
>> Add the following text:
>>
>> A RTCDTMFSender is created by calling the createDTMFSender() method on
>> a PeerConnection. This constructs an object that exposes the functions
>> required to send DTMF.
> NEW IN THIS VERSION:
>
> Add to RTCDTMFSender:
>
>     attribute EventHandler ontonechange;
>
> Add text under 8.4.2 "InsertDTMF":
>
>     When InsertDTMF is called, do the following:
>
>     1. If the associated MediaStreamTrack is not connected to the
> associated PeerConnection, return.
>     2. If canInsertDTMF is false, return.
>     3. Set the value of the tone buffer to the "tones" argument.
>         Return, but continue the following steps asynchronously.
>
>     The following steps take place asynchronously.
>     4. Start playout of the tone on the associated RTP media stream,
> using the appropriate codec.
>     5. Fire a "tonechange" event at the object, with an event parameter
> consisting of the first character
>     of the tone buffer. Remove the first character of the tone buffer.
>     6. If the tone buffer is empty, fire a "tonechange" event at the
> object, with an empty string as
>         its parameter, and stop.
>     7. Schedule a task for <duration> milliseconds later, which will
> repeat steps 4-7.

Should not all the above be moved to some other section (it is not a
MediaStreamTrack any more)?

> Wordsmithing is of course needed.
>

>> - In section 4.3.2, add the function
>>
>> RTCDTMFSendingMediaStreamTrack createDTMFSender(MediaStreamTrack track);
>>
>> - In section 4.3.2.2, add the paragraph
>>
>> createDTMFSender
>>
>> The createDTMFSender() creates an RTCDTMFSendingMediaStreamTrack that

s/RTCDTMFSendingMediaStreamTrack/RTCDTMFSender/