Re: CSSRC / SSRC

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:51:45 +0200
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
On 06/12/2012 03:15 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> Given the discussion at IETF, it seems like it would be good for the API to support an JS App:
>
> 1) setting the list of CSRC to be set on RTP packets sent for a given track
Getting makes sense if an app wants to interface to a mixer. As Colin P
is fond of pointing out, mixers exist, and can be used to realize some
of the scenarios in the scenarios document.

Setting only makes sense if an app wants to *be* a mixer, since you're
only supposed to set it when you're merging input from multiple remote
sources.

I haven't understood any of the scenarios in the scenarios doc to
require this - my instinct is to say "let's not do setting for version 1".

> 2) setting the SSRC a track should use (and the app has to set it to a random number)
Please explain the use case. I don't get it (and I *think* I was in the
same meeting).
(It will surely make it easier to test for SSRC collisions, but I don't
get the other usage).

> 3) reading the SSRC of an incoming track
I think stats will give you that - the main purpose I saw with that is
to be able to correlate stats generated by a WebRTC browser with stats
generated by some other tool out in RTP-land.
Are there other use cases you're looking for?