Re: Alternative data API

On 01/30/2012 02:32 AM, Justin Uberti wrote:

> [...]
>                 requirements. The ones below, possibly with the exception of
>                 Req. 2, are
>                 among those that I could not really derive from the use
>         cases.
>

>                     Req. 1 Multiple simultaneous datagram streams must
>         be supported.
>

>             I should note that for games, having multiple streams with
>         different
>             characteristics is a huge plus.  Going *all* the way back to
>         netrek
>             (you can look it up on wikipedia), networked games have used
>             multiple streams.  Netrek used a reliable stream for
>         critical state
>             info ("you're dead"), and unreliable datagrams for general
>             world-state updates ("opponent 3's position is x,y").  One
>         of the
>             reasons for providing the multiple channels is that if we don't,
>             application makers who need them will create their own
>         protocol on
>             top of whatever we provide.  If we provide reliable only,
>         that fails
>             a lot of real-time needs, and if we provide unreliable only
>         they'll
>             build reliable on top of it - badly, and incompatibly.
>

>         Multi-user scenarios will almost certainly need multiple
>         simultaneous
>         streams, i.e. at least one for each participant. Of course, you
>         could
>         get away with having a single stream and just muxing everything over
>         that stream using an application-defined protocol, but it's probably
>         best for interoperability if we officially support this scenario.
>

>     I assume that you're talking about multi-user with a central server,
>     otherwise there would be a separate PeerConnection to each user.
>
>     With the "Alternative Data API" muxing of DOMString data is
>     straightforward (to do in the application); blobs and ArrayBuffers
>     is another story. There ChannelMessaging should be possible to use
>     to create channels, but I've not looked into the details (and am
>     unsure about the maturity of ChannelMessaging).
>

> It's multi-user that is not full mesh, but it might not involve a
> central server (e.g. a directed p2p graph).
>
> If all the elements in the graph are aware of the application protocol,
> this would certainly work, even with ArrayBuffers. The app could create
> its own packet format, and use that to create its own multiplexing
> mechanism, and even its own reliability and priority mechanism (it would
> of course have to depend on the PeerConnection's congestion control
> mechanism).
>
> This might allow us to make the in-browser code substantially simpler,
> as it would just be a secure pipe for generic datagrams at this point.
> All the advanced stuff would be done through JS libraries.
>
> I think this is a important point for the WG to consider. Would folks
> rather have a simpler, less capable API that we can ship sooner?
>
> I admit that doing SCTP or PseudoTCP in Javascript sounds interesting.

I must admit I never thought that far. My idea was more to have a simple
API (much aligned to WebSockets) for a start, and then add functionality
if needed (with e.g. the options argument); but having SCTP as the
underlying transport.

I think that also with the simple start API you can get a lot of
functionality by combining it with other tools in the web platform (and
the app can perhaps prioritize between its own data).

But I think your question (i.e. doing protocol in JS) is valid indeed.