JSEP-01: Release of non-needed ICE candidates

From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:26:30 +0100
To: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>

Hi,

Assume my SIP JS app gets an offer, and some ICE candidatates, generates and sends a SIP SDP offer.

Later, the browser provides additional ICE candidates (using the ice callback function).

My SIP JS app is not interested in the additional ICE candidates.

Q1: Is it possible for the JS app to inform the browser that it does not need the additional ICE candidates? For example, if my app is given turn candidates, which I am not going to use (read: offer to the remote party), there is really no need for the browser to maintain the connection with the turn server.

Q2: Do we assume that the browser at some point (e.g. when the associated answer is provided) will be able to release resources associated with non-needed ICE candidates?

Regards,

Christer