Re: Mute and MediaStream repointing

On 2/13/2012 3:27 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> Why not just treat"muted video" as if the video track wasn't there? Then
> while muted, we would just not have a video frame. You can place your
> muted image under the video output so while there's no video frame, the
> user sees the muted image. Or you could use MediaStreams Processing to
> blend a static "muted image" video stream with the maybe-muted video track.

Well, part of the issue is how "muted" is transported to the receiver,
how fast that occurs (basically it can't be fast enough other than "next
frame of video sent") - and the receiver may not be a WebRTC client.

You could simply stop sending, but that can cause problems for some
receivers, and they can't distinguish between that and a routing or
packet loss - after how many not-arrived frames do you give up and put
up "Muted"?  Etc.  (ICE should keep the ports open, at least.)

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org