Re: Data API: what is agreed, what is open

From: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:52:05 -0800
To: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
Cc: public-webrtc@w3.org
>> Yes - and to be clear, I care more about "unreliable" deliver than
>> reliably. As soon as you select "reliable" in SCTP, it means you basically
>> don't care about real time and thus you probably could have sent that data
>> over websockets via the server.

I agree that you "could have sent that data over websockets via the server", but
I have the strong belief that for some set of applications that will
not be the preferred
way to go, either for the clients or the server.  Imagine a slightly
enhanced version of
the original chatroulette, in which the two peers could send each
other pre-made
movies as well as have live chats.  Sure, you could pass them through
the server,
but that increases the server's costs by a major amount, and for
service run on a shoestring,
it's pretty suboptimal.  It also would have grabbed enough server
resources that the
rendezvous times for other users might have taken a hit.

The other, privacy-related reasons I think are also obvious; the
clients may not want the
server to be a point of interception for files, and the server may
similarly want to avoid this.

regards,

Ted