Re: New version of editors draft released (20121212)

On Dec 14, 2012, at 4:41 AM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:

> On 2012-12-13 14:59, Dan Burnett wrote:
>> I agree that we decided to add "id".  I don't agree with removing
>> "label".  My understanding from the f2f meeting was that we would end
>> up with both MediaStream and MediaStreamTrack objects having both
>> "id" (machine-generated) and "label" (human-generated) attributes.
>
> I remember us talking about the confusing regarding label meaning something on MediaStream and something else on MediaStramTrack, but I don't really recall the exact resolution.
>
> This edit was really a rename of what you refer to as the "machine-generated" identifier from "label" to "id" to align with MediaStreamTrack. We've never had a "human-generated" identifier on MediaStream so it hasn't been removed. :)
>
> I'm not really convinced we need a human settable identifier on MediaStream unless it's transported over a p2p connection (and we have a use-case for that). If you want to assign a custom label to a MediaStream on the local side you can simply add as many new properties to it as you like (myStream.label = "Web Cam & headset mic"; ).

As long as MediaStream and MediaStreamTrack have the same (one or two) attributes, I'm happy.  I don't see any more need for a human-generated label on a MediaStreamTrack than on a MediaStream, by your argument above, and yet I believe we are keeping label on MediaStreamTrack.  They should be consistent.