Re: Stats v2 proposal - for Thursday's meeting

On 11 December 2012 15:26, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
> Each new interface class requires the addition of approx. 3 files to Webkit
> (IDL, .h and .cc) (at minimum), and causes the generation of half a dozen
> more, resulting in a significant number of added code bytes.
> If the type should be carried all the way through WebKit to the underlying
> browser, it usually takes about 6 more files to accomplish that.
>
> It's an uncomfortable meeting place between a strongly typed language and a
> proto-typed one.

I feel your pain, but I don't feel especially motivated to take on any
more work.  Unless the code for the strongly typed portion is required
to directly provide the interfaces that the application JavaScript
uses, it's fairly trivial to make a JavaScript shim that constructs
the necessary objects.  Throw JSON strings across the wall.
Inelegant, but perfectly functional.

As I've already said to someone on my team here today, who wanted to
use avoid the overhead of making a new module to do a new thing:
trying to limit the amount that a programmer has to type is an
admirable process goal, but never let it compromise the integrity of
your architecture.

--Martin