Re: Microsoft API Proposal

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:43 PM, Anant Narayanan wrote:
> On 8/7/12 2:57 AM, Tim Panton wrote:
> > Ok, the timing is unfortunate, but can you honestly say that we didn't know
> that this was skype/microsofts opinion? We just chose to ignore it because it
> was inconvenient.
> >
> > Now that it is out there, are we seriously going to ignore a document with
> > _those_ authors from a major browser maker and a team with extensive
> > experience in the field jus because it is late!?!?
>
> I absolutely don't want to discount the extensive collective experience
> and knowledge of how RTC works that went behind the document - but I
> have a hard time treating this proposal as coming from a major browser
> vendor. A proposal from the team behind Skype or Lync is different from
> a proposal that comes from the IE team.

That seems like an odd observation to me but one that I'm happy to correct. The
proposal is from Microsoft, just like all the contributions we make to the W3C.

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:22 AM, Lorenzo Miniero wrote:
> RTCWEB wasn't born yesterday, they've had more than a year to contribute,

Just to be clear and avoid misunderstandings, Microsoft joined WebRTC last month.
I mentioned at TPAC 2011 that it would take time for us to be able to join.
We've tried to share our feedback as quickly as possible once we joined.

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:32 AM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am attaching the specification, with a minor correction to highlight
> > that this is unofficial (and not a Member Submission).  Apologies for
> > the size.
>
> Uh, I'm confused on what this means. Can you clarify what it is that
> Microsoft has made as a submission to the WG.

In accordance with the W3C Process [1], Microsoft has contributed the proposal
Martin sent [2] to the working group for discussion and consideration.

Originally, it was prepared as a Member Submission but that's obviously not the
appropriate mechanism here. Apologies for any confusion.

Cheers,

Adrian.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/submission.html#SubmissionScope
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webrtc/2012Aug/att-0063/realtime-media.html