Re: MediaStreamTrack disabling - effect on downstream MediaStreams?

On 09/15/2011 08:12 PM, Tommy Widenflycht (ᛏᚮᛘᛘᚤ) wrote:
> Your suggestion seems very powerful but possibly more powerful than
> needed. What kind of use cases do you have in mind for this? I
> personally like the clear relationship between parent and child.
to me, wearing my WG chair hat, it seems that we have 2 proposals for
conceptual models on the table:

- MediaStreams are groups of tracks, each of which comes from a source.
If you create a MediaStream from another MediaStream, you get tracks
that come from the same source (so carry the same content), but bear no
relationship to the original MediaStream's tracks.

- MediaStreams are groups of tracks, each of which comes from either a
source or a track within another MediaStream. If you create a
MediaStream from another MediaStream, you get tracks that come from that
MediaStream (the "parent"), so depend on the state of that MediaStream
and its tracks for whether or not there is data flowing.

To illustrate, the task "take an incoming MediaStream with 2 video
tracks and display them separately" that we discussed earlier would become:

First version:

      myFirstVideo = stream
      mySecondVideo = new MediaStream(myFirstVideo)  // both tracks present
      myFirstVideo.videoTracks.select(1)
      oneVideoObject.setSource(myFirstVideo.getUrl())  // Showing first
track
      mySecondVideo.videoTracks.select(2)
      anotherVideoObject.setSource(mySecondVideo.getUrl())  // Showing
second track

No matter what you do to myFirstVideo, mySecondVideo will not be affected.

Second version:

      myMultiVideoStream = stream
      myFirstVideo = new MediaStream(myMultiVideoStream)
      myFirstVideo.videoTracks.select(1)
      oneVideoObject.setSource(myFirstVideo.getUrl())  // Showing first
track
      mySecondVideo = new MediaStream(myMultiVideoStream)
      mySecondVideo.videoTracks.select(2)
      anotherVideoObject.setSource(mySecondVideo.getUrl())  // Showing
second track

If one disables tracks in myMultiVideoStream, or deletes the objects,
data will no longer flow to myFirstVideo and mySecondVideo.

The issue of what disabling a stream does seems less fundamental than
this difference.
Opinions?

                    Harald