Re: [rtcweb] a couple of comments on the latest API draft

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>wrote:
>
> The way it's currently written, "finished" is permanent, but "disabled" is
>> changeable.
>>

> "finished" == "ended", right? :-)

Actually, since it's already well-established that "ended" on media elements
is not permanent --- you can seek or reload the resource --- I think it
would reduce confusion to use the term "finished" for the permanent
MediaStream state, instead of "ended". Including in the API names. Can we do
that?

OK, I will try to write the ProcessedMediaStream spec so that "ended" is a
> permanent state. This means that when you get a MediaStream for an HTML
> media element, the MediaStream will have to be tied to the currently playing
> media resource, and when playback ends that MediaStream will become inactive
> and a new MediaStream generated if the author seeks the media resource and
> starts playing it again, or loads a new media resource.

At this stage it looks like we'll just make the stream emitted by a media
element never end ... and maybe we'll add an finish() API to force a
MediaStream to end permanently.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our