Re: [rtcweb] SDP Offer/Answer draft-jennings-rtcweb-signaling

From: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:41:52 -0700
Cc: <rtcweb@ietf.org>, <public-webrtc@w3.org>, "Jonathan Rosenberg" <jonathan.rosenberg@skype.net>
To: Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>

So I might have messed up the draft a bit. I'm fine with things can be implemented as dialog statefull, what I want is that it is possible to make a signaling gateway that is only transaction statefull. I'm fine if some signaling gateways are built as dialog statefull.

 (As a side note, some B2BUA are effectively transaction statefull but that is pretty rare )

On Oct 17, 2011, at 15:28 , Ravindran Parthasarathi wrote:

> Cullen/Joanthan,
>
> I like your proposed idea as it is going in the direction of having
> "standard" signaling protocol for RTCWeb. I'm seeing your proposal as
> SDP offer/answer over websocket and the proposal helps to easy gateway
> development between RTCWeb server and legacy signaling protocols.
>
> I have fundamental question in the proposal as it proposes RTCWeb server
> as SIP proxy equivalent and in reality, unfortunately most of the SIP
> deployment work is based on B2BUA. The question is whether RTCWeb server
> shall be dialog-state or MUST be transaction-stateful only.
>
> Also, session-id in the draft is used to uniquely understand the offerer
> and answerer in the transaction or session. In case it is session, how
> to indicate the termination of the session.

My personal opinion is that to be able to clean up all the state in a clean an easy way, we should add some message to indicate the SDP offer / answer state and related media streams can be discarded.  I'd like to add that to the next version.