Re: Where to attach a DTMF API

On 11/29/2011 12:45 PM, Stefan Håkansson wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 05:19 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:
>> Perhaps more to the point, being able to switch the source for a channel
>> from the mic to self-generated data (silence, "the doctor will be with
>> you shortly", black, a test pattern, camera-with-slash, etc) is more the
>> point of what we need, and for this we'd just need to be able to build a
>> stream using a source like that instead of switching the source of an
>> existing stream/track.
 >
> We did some experimentation along those lines, with a solution where the
> user can switch between sources, but with the browser and not the app in
> control. Our idea actually had another purpose: getUserMedia could
> immediately answer with a default stream, but that stream would be
> benign data stream such as a test image or a pre-recorded video. The
> user can then switch to the live camera stream at any time, and back to
> the default stream during the session.
>
> We wrote some stuff up at
> <https://labs.ericsson.com/developer-community/blog/dmp> if someone is
> interested.

Yes, interesting.  The alternative would be for the app to have a
control/button/etc ("media") which re-opens the getUserMedia requester.

Question: how should this this interact with Fullscreen mode in
browsers?  And also what about mobile, where people often want browsers
to run virtually full-screened?  (This closely mirrors the already-open
question of how we provide an always-visibile indication that mics
and/or cameras are active.)  It should be possible, for example, for the
app to invoke this requester as well.

How would it deal with multiple cameras/mics?

How does a user look up something in another tab while talking?

What happens if the user focuses another window?

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org