Re: [rtcweb] draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-06.txt, A12, monitoring quality

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 14:21:20 -0700
To: Wolfgang Beck <wolfgang.beck01@googlemail.com>
CC: "<rtcweb@ietf.org>" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 11/02/2011 07:33 AM, Wolfgang Beck wrote:
> Section 5.2, Browser Requirements
> "   A12             The Web API MUST provide means for
>                     informing the web application when high
>                     loss rates occur."
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to have a more general API that provides access
> to RTP/RTCP performance counters? A smart JS client might analyze the
> counters and suggest solutions, like 'fix your fine NAT
> configuration'. Providers like to see that data to detect and fix
> problems, too.
Since this is an application API requirement, this discussion belongs in
the WEBRTC WG, reply-to: set accordingly.

In the discussions at the TPAC this week, it was felt that counters
should be provided for things like packet loss. A regularly scheduled
function that reads the lost-packet counter every few seconds and sends
an alert when it's increasing "too fast" would then satisfy this
requirement - a good question may be how quickly it's reasonable for the
application to be informed that such a condition exists; my feeling is
that "within a few seconds" is fine, but others may have other opinions.

The editor team has (I believe) taken on the task of coming up with a
first proposal for such a metrics interface.

                   Harald