Re: Mozilla/Cisco API Proposal Revisions

On 19 July 2011 14:35, Anant Narayanan <anant@mozilla.com> wrote:

>        *ACTION*: Rename the 'type' attribute to 'kind', but instead of the
> only values being "video"/"audio", include more information such as codec
> type. Rename onTypeChanged to onKindChanged, and create a new track every
> time a change occurs.

The HTML media elements use 'type' to describe the 'MIME type' of a
media resource, and 'kind' for the role annotation of alternate
tracks. If you're going to reference the "IANA MIME media type" for
this field, I think it would be better to keep the attribute name as
'type' and aim for specific compatibility with the media.canPlayType
method and source.type attribute. Further details on content and
codecs can be stringified as per RFC 4281.

 -r