Re: Additional requirement - audio-only communication

On 08/24/11 09:52, Randell Jesup wrote:

>>> I think the PeerConnection will have to be told before it sends off its
>>> SDP Offer.
>> I agree. I was referring to signaling between the web apps happening
>> before the creation of PeerConnection. One way to solve this would be
>> to have such signaling ("I would like to communicate, would you?",
>> "yes, but I only want audio") happening before creating the
>> PeerConnection objects, using a mechanism outside the scope of this
>> standard. That way the applications would have this knowledge when
>> doing "addStream" (or even "getUserMedia").
>
> I'm confused: why would not this be handled in the Offer/Answer phase?
> (either within SIP if we use it, or within Offer/Answer if we don't
> use SIP).
>

> Accept m=audio, reject m=video

It would be handled in the offer/answer phase, I think; the problem that
got me to raise the issue was generating the offer.

In one case the PeerConnection would want to generate *in the offer*:

   m=audio
<stuff>
   m=video
<stuff>

In the other case the PeerConnection would want to generate:

   m=audio
<stuff>

Since the generation of SDP happens within the PeerConnection
implementation, which is part of the browser, the code that generates
the offer has to know which of those two to generate. And since it
cannot infer the intent of the Web application, it has to be told somehow.

That's the requirement I was trying to capture: The Web application has
to tell the browser.

                   Harald