Re: Clarification on media capture split between WebRTC and DAP

On 8/15/2011 7:03 AM, Rich Tibbett wrote:

> Francois Daoust wrote:

[snip]
>> Still images from a camera are not being handled by anyone, as far as I
>> can tell.
>

> AFAICS it will be possible to assign a Stream object to a<video>  and
> then copy content from that<video>  to a<canvas>  and then use
> getImageData against that<canvas>  to obtain a still image/snapshot from
> the original Stream object.
>
> So still image capture is handled implicitly in the web toolchain and
> does not need special consideration in either group (unless we end up
> not being able to use that toolchain for whatever reason in the final
> API..).

Umm... There's an inherent assumption there that <video> won't modify
the data that
ends up in the <canvas> - change resolution, run through codecs, etc.
Plus HW settings
for capturing video may be very different (lighting, flash, ISO,
resolution, etc) than for
capturing still images, even from the same sensor.  So I'd be very leery
of that as a
reasonable alternative.

--
Randell Jesup