Re: Test docs account credentials

Hi Austin,

On 2015-01-16 2:49 PM, Austin William Wright wrote:
> I'm trying to play around with some major changes to HTML element
> documentation, but I can't seem to log into the
> https://docs.webplatform.org/test/ site.
>
> It *looks* like I should be able to use
> my https://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/ credentials, but those don't work.

The wikis at /wiki/ and /test/ are completely separate; user accounts,
configuration, database configuration, etc.

The one at /test/ (we generally refer as the "test wiki") currently use
an upcoming feature to allow single sign on using Firefox Accounts.

> I created an account, but it shows up as "Firefox Accounts" and where's
> that name come from? This is also confusing. After activating account
> and using said credentials, it redirects me to the test wiki, but shows
> an error message: "Execution messages/Unknown error, Could not get
> profile data or create new user".

If you want to login in the test wiki, you have to have an account on
accounts.webplatform.org. Which is what you did.

The trick is that I ran a user migration from the main wiki into
accounts system but didn’t migrated passwords.

<aside>
It was impossible to get password from database since it stores a hash
value.

In contrast to encrypting or encoding a password, hashing is basically a
string calculated in some way and stored. Then when somebody login the
same set of operations are run.

If both matches, its been proven to be the same password and therefore a
proof that the person should have access.
</aside>

The trick now is; when did you create your account on the wiki?

If your account was created before mid-june you might be able to
retrieve your account by asking "recover password" and giving the same
email you gave on the main wiki.

> How should I proceed?

You can ping me (renoirb) on IRC freenode if you have any other questions.

--
Renoir Boulanger    http://www.w3.org/People/#renoirb
@renoirb                 https://renoirboulanger.com/