Re: domain WebPlatform.com

Doug,

I seem to have taken great offense to your remarks.  I am writing this
email in a very heated mood, and I probably should edit it, but I think the
topics I raise should be discussed, so I will keep the majority of it.  I
do hope to be able to work together, but you have questioned my integrity
several times, so I feel I must respond.

I never received any response to my request.  I checked all my emails and
can not find any previous discussion even on the email list archives.
 Please forward it to me if I am mistaken.

I am sorry to hear what happened with SVG.org, but please do not put
OpenDomain in the same category.  Early on in the project, we were offered
millions of dollars for one domain, but we gave it away for Free, only to
be later sued by that person.  That almost killed the project, but I fought
to keep it going for years. More recently, we were contacted by a broker
who offered $20k for another domain, but we told her that we do not sell
domains, they should be used to support Open Source.  We were ecstatic to
learn that that she was working in behalf of one of the top promoters of
open source: Google wanted to participate in OpenDomain!  So we gave the
domain Schema.org to them for Free - all we asked was to to be mentioned in
the press release and a link.  Unfortunately, they still have yet to
fulfill their promises. Sorry to go off on a rant, but I have personally
spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to acquire domains from squatters
and gave them all away for Free to support open source and non-profits and
it riles me for someone to question my "good intentions".

I am also not sure what your intention for the paragraph "If your project
is about open domains.." is intended to convey.  OpenDomain is about "open
source for domains". WebPlatform.com should be about commercial application
of the Web Platform.  I do no see any conflict that I support multiple
projects - I also founded CharityCoin.Org . We mint celebrity coins to
support charities - check it out and let me know what you think!

Also, we do not see if someone offers a service on .COM that is not
available on the .ORG  that is can be considered competing. We do not want
redirects for our domains - we ask that the domains be used with content
that benefits the web.

Several years ago, I gave OpenAjax.org in care of the W3 to help
standardize Ajax.  The problem is that developers did not know what
"OpenAjax" was.  To this day, I think only Dojo ever implemented it for a
short time.  I see this same problem again with WebPlatform - I have gone
to dozens of web developer meetups and only one person even heard of the
Web Platform project.  I think that everyone has done some great work
contributing content, but the marketing needs much more exposure.

Ok - again I am sorry for my tone of this email - I will try to be more
constructive:
That is our hope for WebPlatform.com - to help gain exposure for the Web
Platform. We would like it to be used to as a separate site that has
COMmercial value. That does not mean that I would profit - I just believe
that would encourage more participation or at least help with some costs.
We would be happy to contribute the domain - to the Web Platform as a
separate organization.  Has there been any discussion of a foundation?

Thank you for your understanding
Ric