Importing HTML Reference document

Hi all,

Forking a new thread as it is not about JavaScript API anymore but about HTML Reference document.

Although my previous mail was not very clear, my question was about finding a way to import content from the HTML Reference document [0] and I thought you had some ideas on the subject.

My question is mostly about whether we should import the Reference document content [0] to our own or to provide as a commodity to our audience through our own GitHub channel.

See inline for the remaining.

Renoir
~

On Dec 3, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi Renoir,
>
> On mar., 2013-12-03 at 11:27 -0500, Renoir Boulanger wrote:
>> On that aspect, Dom, I heard from Mike during TPAC that he’d also like
>> us to maintain/expose current HTML language reference [0].

(…)

>> I think that this documentation is quite relevant for our content and
>> audience.
>
> +1
>
>> @Dom, do you think we could use your utility for it?
>
> I'm not sure to understand your question; which of my utility are you
> thinking of, and to maintain what?

I probably made too many connections in my head without explaining them clearly, I hope this one would make you understand why I asked you.

> My original message was about a tool to extract stubs for JavaScript
> APIs from W3C specifications; I don't think it can easily be used to
> maintain the list of HTML elements and attributes (if that's what the
> "it" refers to).

I understand that the tool you are proposing is about extracting information from IDL in the specs and make Stubs in our documentation pages. HTML doesn’t need to provide abstract programming Interfaces and that’s why it was confusing and would not make sense in this case.

> If you're instead thinking of the W3C cheatsheet (which I also alluded
> to in my message), the part of the tool that manages HTML elements and
> attributes information is itself based on the data in Mike's document,
> so could obviously not be re-used to maintain it :)

Sure, we might have to either manage the cheat sheet or import it in our content.

Mike was wondering if we were interested to help him about it. That’s why I started this thread.

I would suggest to fold it and promote it in our content as it is, under our own GitHub organization [1] and see later if we import it or use it as an ANNEX to our site, and link to it from our documentation pages in the HTML namespace.

What are your feelings?

  [0]: http://sideshowbarker.github.io/htmlr/

Thanks.