Re: WebPlatform Browser Support phased approach?

Hi, Julee–

On 11/1/13 1:43 PM, Julee Burdekin wrote:

> A major reason for the phased approach is to get the compatibility
> information into the 250 CSS property pages. Can¹t that be done with a
> text edit API[1] where the section is simply overwritten with the new
> table that Ronald provides?
>
> [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Edit

Probably. It's still not a trivial amount of work. We'd need to convert
the CIU/H5T data into tables, convert all the tables into Semantic
MediaWiki markup, then decide which of the data source to use for any
given page, and figure out how to insert them into the page with the API
(I don't know how to do that, but someone might).

We could simplify that by leaving out the CIU/H5T data for now, but the
other steps still remain.

Regardless of whether we use the extension or do this short-term
insertion approach, we'll need to modify the templates to make these
sections not editable (I think that should be easy).

I'm not favorably disposed toward this short-term hack, but I'm not
going to stand in the way. I'm just concerned that it will end up
causing us to do more work than if we'd done it the right way from the
beginning.

Regards-
-Doug