Re: Web Payments IG (Steering Group) Charter - Final Call for Comments

RE: " I wouldn't want to see a situation where we're waiting on
UNCITRAL or ISO for years while they try to define a word for us to
use for a new electronic commerce concept around cryptocurrency. In
that case, we can mention in the spec that the terminology is
non-standard and is being defined and used in the specification until
better terminology comes along and is defined via UNCITRAL/ISO. When
the better terminology comes along, we can update the spec.

It's not at all "non-standard" to conform with a standard while adding
concepts and elements that the standard does not yet address,
especially if these extensions beyond the standard are contributed
into the standard body's deliberation process for evolution.

Doing one's own thing is inherently faster than negotiating a common
thing amongst many parties, so there's no shame in tech
standardization taking longer than tech unilateralism. Standardization
depends upon autonomous advances beyond the standard, however. It
would be incorrect to suggest that standards bodies undertake
development-by-committee -- granted that when negotiations amongst
diverse implementers bog down (inadvertently, or through deliberate
obstinacy by a market-dominant player whose particular interests are
not served by open fair compeitition), it can sometimes seem similar.

Joseph

--
Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations