Re: Payment Request API on Hacker News

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 08:28:02 +0100
To: Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@coil.com>, Web Payments <public-webpayments@w3.org>
On 2020-03-02 19:31, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:

"We are also working closely with the card networks to support
  Secure Remote Commerce (SRC) via these APIs providing a significantly
  better card payments experience than most websites offer today"

Personally I believe this project is redundant since Apple Pay, Google Pay and a bunch of quote popular national/proprietary solutions achieve similar goals as they stand today.  SRC looks pretty complex as well.  184 pages for the core specification alone!

Taking Account-to-Account payments like SEPA Inst to the POS Terminal and preferably with a solution that also works On-line would have a bigger impact since it is currently largely unresolved. In addition to being secure it must usage-wise be comparable to Apple/Google Pay in order to also make sense for the consumers.

thanx,
Anders