Re: List of currency URIs or strings?

On 29 May 2018 at 17:05, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:

> it seems to me that the necessary elements for clearly declaring what
> currency a transaction is in, outside of the general presumption of healthy
> and vibrant infrastucture that we rely on when just talking about
> well-known currencies by their ISO codes -- you know, "what is the exchange
> rate between AUD and NZD" is perfectly clear and implies a lot of
> transparent fungibility -- include (1) what ultimate ledger are the book
> entries going into, in this case "the bitcoin testnet"

its a demo system, I might set up a card game or something

> (2) what does that ledger call this fungible, if anything -- when there's
> a single-currency ledger, that's implied, so saying "BTC" might be
> redundant but can't hurt, and insisting on this element will cause
> poorly-formed messages to error instead of doing the wrong thing and
>

> (3) how to shift the decimal point, in this case we want to work in millis.

I just dont have many tBTC so wanted to use a smaller unit

> " a currency mBTC (1000th of a bitcoin), but applied against the bitcoin
> testnet" fully describes what you want to work with; what I'm saying is it
> is possible to abstract out the three parts of that. It's also possible
> that the third part doesn't belong and will cause confusion, and should be
> take care of by the client software, with all general currency description
> strings being simply the first two parts, (1) ultimate ledger and (2) what
> is this fungible called there. Since by definition 1000 mBTC = 1 BTC, and
> no intermediaries are required, that one wants to work in millis seems like
> its more a detail of how amounts are stated rather than something about the
> fungible that one would be declaring an amount of.

I could write it as human text but that's harder to program against.  I'd
like my system to be currency flexible.  To write a string parser seems
dangerous.

> I hope this is helpful

Very much so, as usual.  Thanks!  :)