Re: Web 3.0 blockchains

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 at 12:09 Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net> wrote:

> On 2017-03-11 3:21 PM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
>
> > 2. Did Satoshi's paper coin the term 'Blockchain'[1]
>
> Apparently not...
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_cipher_mode_of_operation#Cipher_Block_Chaining
>
> "William F. Ehrsam, Carl H. W. Meyer, John L. Smith, Walter L.
> Tuchman, "Message verification and transmission error detection by
> block chaining", US Patent 4074066, 1976"
>
> That's really interesting.  Thank you.

I've had a long-standing problem with the use of the term 'block-chain'
specifically due to : http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency dynamic as
appended to "block-chain technologies".

Indeed much of the advocacy pertaining to alternatives such as
HTTP-SIGNATURES https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cavage-http-signatures-06 for
me, is about creating a decentralised alternative (ie: every human
participating with crypto instruments) as to significantly reduce the
energy-consumption requirements for human-trust.   (which even in the case
of big data centre means of outsourcing arrangements, may not resolve the
underlying problem).

Tim.h