Re: double spend as a feature

On 25 July 2016 at 06:15, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I suggest that conceptually it's a game changer.
>

> Based on the messages in this thread, it looks like Ethereum
> accidentally effected a "spinoff" distribution.
> http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/spinoff.asp Not a game changer at
> all, unless you were previously playing a game where cryptocurrencies
> had a restricted set of options compared to corporations.
>
> The subject line hype about "double spend as a feature" is misleading.

"A spinoff is the creation of an independent company through the sale or
distribution of new shares of an existing business or division of a parent
company" <http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/parentcompany.asp>

Doesnt seem to me quite the same thing.  The chain forked, and the
public/private keys are active on both chains.  Thereby allowing users to
spend the same coins twice.