Re: Web Payments CG specs updated

On 25 January 2016 at 02:49, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Apologies for the lack of communication as of late. The Web Payments IG,
> Web Payments WG, Credentials CG, and Verifiable Claims Task Forces are
> keeping many of us very busy. Here's a quick update:
>
> Various Web Payments CG specs have been rolled into new repositories to
> match the spec input requirements for Web Payments WG. They can be found
> here:
>
> Web Payments 1.0 Vocabulary
> http://web-payments.github.io/web-payments-vocab/
>
> Web Payments 1.0 Messaging
> http://web-payments.github.io/web-payments-messaging/
>
> Web Payments 1.0 Browser API
> http://wicg.github.io/web-payments-browser-api/
>
> Web Payments 1.0 HTTP API
> http://web-payments.github.io/web-payments-http-api/
>
> Also note an alternative set of Web Payments specifications from
> Google/Microsoft:
>
> http://wicg.github.io/paymentrequest/specs/architecture.html
> http://wicg.github.io/paymentrequest/specs/method-identifiers.html
> http://wicg.github.io/paymentrequest/specs/paymentrequest.html
>
> The Web Payments WG issue tracker can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/w3c/webpayments/issues
>
> and the issue trackers for the Web Payments CG specs can be found here:
> https://github.com/web-payments/web-payments-vocab/issues
> https://github.com/web-payments/web-payments-messaging/issues
> https://github.com/WICG/web-payments-browser-api/issues
> https://github.com/web-payments/web-payments-http-api
>
> The Web Payments Working Group is currently trying to figure out how to
> merge the Web Payments CG specs with the Google/Microsoft proposal (or
> to take one set and go with those). The group is doing the majority of
> their work in the Github issue trackers. The group will have the next
> face-to-face meeting during the week of February 22nd 2016 at Google's
> offices in San Francisco.
>
> You can find out more about the Web Payments WG (members, minutes, etc)
> here:
>
> https://www.w3.org/Payments/WG/

Thanks, this is very interesting!

More and more my view is switching to a modular approach to payments,
rather than, a "one size fits all".

I think in standardization we'll probably move more towards the latter than
the former, but it's all good.

What I'd like to see is a very clean module system like "npm" which is the
package manager for node javascript

So in npm you have a principle (inherited from UNIX) of doing "one thing
well", small micro tasks that can be put together like lego bricks.

So you may have one module for access files, one module for creating a web
server, one module for parsing HTML, one module for connecting to a
database.

But with the package manager you create a "dependency tree" so that all the
sub dependencies are pulled in to bigger systems.  For example, someone
might write a bit torrent system, that pulls in the work of about 20
different teams.  That bittorrent system may in turn be used in a bigger
system, and so on...

This is what I'd like to explore with payments.  You might have one module
for a ledger.  One module for signatures (that depends on the ledger).  One
module for crypto currencies.  One module for inter ledger communication.
And so on ...

>From these building blocks whole new systems can be built and integrated
with other web technology.

I see these specs are potential building blocks in larger systems.  Or
maybe it is even possible to break them down into smaller blocks.  That's
kind of what I see happening to an extent already.  Im hoping to roll out
some solutions based on these ideas with the specs as a guideline and many
examples and demos of what use cases it is possible to solve ...